|Job ID #: 12072||Location: Newport News, VA|
|Functional Area: Engineering||Division: Accelerator Ops, R & D|
|Position Type: Regular||Education Required: Bachelors Degree|
|Experience Required: 4+ years||Relocation Provided: Yes|
SALARY RANGE: $78,400 – $123,800 (SE II)
You ‘matter’ to us! Our diverse team at Jefferson Lab includes more than 700 people, including physicists, engineers, computer professionals, technicians and more. From probing the basic building blocks of matter to performing advanced computing and applied research, we are on the leading edge of science and technology. If you are looking for a great job in a unique place where your contributions truly matter, consider Jefferson Lab!
Develop, implement and improve upon Quality and maintains the SRF Quality management System, adhering to DOE contract requirements and Lab needs. Involved in the design and development of performance measures and efficient work processes. Makes improvement recommendations and plans for these improvements accordingly; ensures compliance with ISO 9001 and similar guidelines where appropriate, as well as federal and state codes, and keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization. Works with JLab personnel to efficiently implement and/or improve processes. Serves as a primary QA contact with Partner Lab personnel for deliverables and Quality related reports. Significant experience and familiarity with many Quality oriented concepts, practices, and methods. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals; performs a variety of complex tasks either on an individual or team basis. A wide degree of creativity, latitude, and flexibility is expected.
SRF Manufacturing QA support
SRF Quality Board and Steering Committee meetings
Champion and coordinate Quality Board and Quality Steering Committee meetings, including action item follow up. Monitor and review metrics to drive continuous improvement activities.
QA Communication & Training of SRF Staff
Implement and continue to carry out a communication plan for Quality related issues within SRF, including metrics and their relevance for non-QB members using an appropriate delivery & feedback method of your choice (could include quarterly presentations, Monthly newsletters, Focus Groups for feedback etc.)
Provide SRF QA support for Cryomodule design and build projects. Work with JLab SRF and Partner Lab representatives to streamline tools and QA processes. Under direction of SRF Management prepare final documentation including any necessary quality check of Documentation for each Cryomodule shipped.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as SRF Quality subject matter expert and lead for Quality related improvement activities; work on multiple improvement projects simultaneously, mostly independently and with minimal supervision.
- Serve as SRF Quality liaison to partner Labs, working with these counterparts to organize, coordinate and / or provide timely information that is within the project scope.
- Perform data analysis for the purpose of improving quality and process. This may include development of databases, interpretation of data, and analysis of results using statistical techniques and provide ongoing reports to support SRF Management in prioritizing our needs.
- Provide vendor Quality support to SRF Projects, including assessment of their ability to meet JLab requirements and objectives, as well as the effectiveness of their overall Management systems.
- Work with SRF Engineers and SOTRs to proactively identify issues which may cause schedule impacts; understand and implement their priorities and resolve issues as needed.
- Maintain and improve, as needed, Quality Board and Quality Steering Committee efforts; use these forums to monitor and review performance metrics, improvement objectives, and adjust Quality strategy dependent on emerging needs.
- Responsible for working with others to understand their work needs and incorporate the appropriate information into the preparation, maintenance and update of policy and procedure manuals, as well as working with others to properly implement changes.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Quality tools, including fishbone diagrams, histograms, pareto charts and similar
- Root Cause Analysis, 5 Why and similar problem solving techniques
- Assessment and Auditing experience, whether ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001 or ISO 14001
- Exposure and knowledge of ISO 9001 guidelines and application
- Laws, regulations and ordinances, including 10 CFR 851
- Written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish priorities, schedules, analyze resource needs, documented ability to meet milestones
- Ability to effectively work with others in a team setting
- Standard computer skills, including basic word processing and spreadsheets
Education and Experience:
BS in Engineering plus 4 years’ relevant experience
• Ability to perform complex and/or varied tasks
• Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore and implement alternative solutions
• Ability to analyze and interpret complex data and systems and develop models
• Capable of analytic and deductive reasoning
• Ability to traverse across various locations on the laboratory site and access work areas
• Ability to stoop, bend over and climb ladders
• Ability to carry up to 40 lbs.
• Ability to access and work in confined spaces
• Ability to work on a computer for extended periods
• Visual capabilities to use computer workstations, read drawings and documents, make field observations, and see safety alarms
• Auditory capabilities to hear safety alarms
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab). JSA/Jefferson Lab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or veteran status or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. As part of the Lab’s equal employment opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.